If not now, when! Well, it might take some more indictments. We can hope and pray that the conspiracy (NOT collusion, for non-lawyers) counts are forthcoming by September–avoiding the midterm hiatus.
Meanwhile, at one and the same time, these TWO things happened.
- Trump says AG Sessions should end the probe
- His attorneys say Trump is still considering sitting down with Mueller for a Q & A
Seems a little dissonant, doesn’t it? Well, what else should we expect from Trumpworld. Here’s the tweet, from Wednesday, August 1, that you’ve all seen, or heard unless you live off the grid.
This is a terrible situation and Attorney General Jeff Sessions should stop this Rigged Witch Hunt right now, before it continues to stain our country any further. Bob Mueller is totally conflicted, and his 17 Angry Democrats that are doing his dirty work are a disgrace to USA!
Various media reports attribute the tweet to receipt of Mueller’s recent offer to provide some written questions in advance of the live interview and a reduced number of questions in the latter. However, obstruction of justice would still be part of the meeting. Not good, says Rudy, No-No.
The second item comes from the NY Times, very close in time to the Mueller offer and Trump’s tweet. I, for one, usually assume the New York Times reporters know of what they speak. One might be forgiven for doubting their report—but from what we know about Trump’s ego and (very mistaken belief) that he is a great dealmaker, they are likely quite correct.
Mr. Trump has told advisers he is eager to meet with investigators to clear himself of wrongdoing, the people said. In effect, he believes he can convince the investigators for the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, of his belief that their own inquiry is a “witch hunt.” See the full Times story here.
Seriously? Trump is going to win over Mueller?
Of course, Trump IS narcissistic and delusional. He also has this transitory memory about his own opinions–moment by moment. Remember when the sexist perspective about the changeability of women’s minds? Well, one might be excused from thinking that Trump must have some gender dysphoria (if the sexist perspective were true, instead of simply a male bias LOL).
Speaking of his “attorneys,” Giuliani is working for free—well, you get what you paid for the saying goes; Jay Sekulow may be a small step up in legal acumen from Michael Cohen (who graduated from Cooley Law School? , while Sekulow graduated from Mercer University, tied for 128th law school in the US, behind such big name universities as Mississippi, Idaho, Louisville, Montana, etc.)
But back to Mueller time. Fear and loathing are growing in the White House as trials, blowback from his behavior, bad economic moves and general incompetence is constantly reported on by all but Trump TV (AKA Fox News). Like what? Oh, you know, don’t you?
- Blowing up the Iran deal because it was so bad and then saying he was available for a meeting with Iran’s President Rouhani—with no preconditions (of course, because HE could strike a better deal. LOLLLLLLLLL!
- Meeting with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un one on one AFTER blowing up the Iran deal—which famously led to Trump’s announcement that North Korea no longer posed a nuclear threat (except satellite photos show they are still working on their ICBMs)
- Meeting with his boss, Vladimir Putin (one on one) for two hours or more and virtually genuflecting by words) to Putin (at the subsequent Helsinki press conference
- The tariffs he has imposed are already costing jobs and substantial lost revenues to American workers and companies—but then Trump doesn’t really understand economics or international trade (too bad his daughter is Ivanka and not Clarissa)
- Michael Cohen may spill the beans that Trump not only knew about but approved the June 2016 meeting with the Russians (can you say conspiracy?)
- The zero tolerance policy that Americans and the world regard as extraordinarily cruel and barbaric
- The Manafort trial–NO COLLUSION! Says Trump—of course not, this is the tax evasion and bank fraud case (all Rick Gates fault, Manafort lawyer’s opening says—what, Gates filed Manafort’s taxes, bought all those suits and the ostrich jacket for his boss, opened all those bank accounts in Cyprus in Manafort’s name? Seriously?)
- That’s just SOME of the recent stuff—Mueller IS closing in and Trump is FREAKY FRAID!
So, which will come first—Mueller’s report recommending impeachment or the Ultimate Trump Tantrum? What might that be, you ask. Well, I’ll save that satirical prognostication for another post. Feel free to offer YOUR guesses. With Trump, anything may be possible—mooning America from the White House balcony, perhaps, as his end draws near. Yes, pun intended. Don’t expect Trump to go out smiling with the two handed victory wave from Marine One like Nixon did.